Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Lost Brush

Day 1: The Saga of the Lost Brush
Life was quite hectic in the days leading up to this last trip.  But I had planned out what I was going to take and had everything ready to go into the suitcases.  It was organized.  Packing was going to be a breeze.  Then, as they say, life got in the way of the plans I made.  I ending up packing in a very short period of time, trying to get everything in, including gifts and must have requests from those I visit, and remain under the weight limit.  It was a challenge but I did eventually manage to fit all the shoes I wanted to bring.  I went over everything.  There was nothing missing, right?  It all made it into my new patent red suitcases equipped with organizational accessories.
Fast forward to the morning after my late night flight that came in even later in the night.  My brush and comb have gone missing. Apparently they did not want to travel to Lima this time and must have jumped out of the suitcase on their own.  No matter how casual you try to be, a brush is an important item when one is preparing to walk out of a hotel and down the street.  And, I am not a particularly casual person, so there was a moment of panic. 
Mind you, I am on my own during the day and my Spanish leaves much to be desired (I can order garlic bread, but don’t ask me to do much else).  Heading out on a shopping trip was a tiny bit daunting.  My hair back in the best little ponytail I could muster, I walked down to the front desk.  Perhaps they know where I could purchase one nearby.  Ripley’s was the answer.  It is a medium size department store near the hotel.  I have learned over my visits that Ripley΄s is usually the answer given when asking where to purchase something.  It is a nice store, with items on offer from bathing suits to computers, refrigerators to colanders.  But it does not have as much as people seem to think it does.  I walked the few blocks to the store and after a confused exchange with the greeter I was directed to the third floor.  In a locked cabinet, next to a very nice sofa and across from a cute pink cake plate, I found every type of plug in grooming implement imaginable.  But alas nothing as simple as a brush or comb. 
Leaving the department store I saw the grocery store Metro.  They had a long aisle of shampoos and conditioners, but no implements.  CVS, Walgreens, even Publix has brushes you can buy.  Why is this so hard to find? I know they are used here.  The people all look well groomed. 
As I walked back towards my hotel I spotted a salon across the street with a window display of brushes, combs, shampoos, etc.  Yes, go to the source.  If you want fruit go to a fruit stand, if you want a brush, go to a hair salon.  It is a cute little place with a single chair.  A lady was getting her hair styled by one woman and her nails done by another.  Hablas ingles? No. Time to play charades.  We eventually worked it out.  I left there with a nice bamboo brush and matching comb, along with a boost in my confidence, all for a mere 18 soles, about $7 US.  You can’t beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment